Friday, January 16, 2009

A lot has happened since my last update. I had been struggling with weakness and lightheadedness since before the last update, but could not figure out what was going on. Then last Thursday (1/8) I felt like I was going to pass out twice while driving to the oncologist’s office. They did the usual labwork and all was okay with that. They felt the passing out feeling must be related to the heart. I contacted the cardiologist and was admitted to Shands. A heart monitor showed that I not only had arrhythmia, but the heart was also pausing. At one point the pause was about 6 seconds. That doesn’t seem like much unless your heart is not beating. As I went to bed that evening the nurse told me they were afraid the pausing would increase as I slept and if it did they would have to wake me up and try to get it to pause less or they would have to do a type of temporary pacemaker. At 4:00 am the nurse came in and awakened me because the pausing was occurring too frequently. Thankfully, the pausing lessened as I stirred up so we did not have to do anything else right then.

I saw the cardiologist first thing Friday morning. As soon as I understood the options and gave permission, they took me into surgery and installed a pacemaker. Surgery went well and I was able to go home on Saturday and be in worship on Sunday. There are restrictions on the use of the left arm for six weeks. Hopefully, the pacemaker will take care of the pausing. Unfortunately, it does not address the arrhythmia. They have changed the medications and hope to control the arrhythmia that way. I have continued to have arrhythmic episodes and will see the cardiologist next Tuesday to see what needs to be done. The arrhythmia will not cause me to pass out, but it is physically draining when it occurs for a period of time. Meanwhile, cancer treatments continue and the disease seems at a stable level for now. Praise God it is not increasing. God continues to grace me with the ability to enjoy life and do many things that are important to me.

I am so grateful that God protected me and got me where I needed to be last Thursday (yes, it was another Thursday). It was a difficult decision for me to go to Shands at that time because we had a lot of commitments Thursday and Friday. I told the cardiologist to let me call her back about entering the hospital. Unsure what to do, I sat for a minute praying. God’s still, quiet voice gave me the direction I needed and I knew I should go to Shands. So often I am afraid I do not take a moment and ask God for His guidance in such situations and it is always my loss (and sometimes costs others) when I don’t. I can’t imagine what would have happened had I been home Thursday evening instead of in the hospital. Would Gary have awakened to an unconscious wife Friday morning? How often do we create our own pain by not stopping long enough to ask God for direction? He has promised, “The Lord will guide you always;” (Isaiah 58:11), “I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths” (Proverbs 4:11), and “You guide me with your counsel” (Psalm 73:24). He promises to direct our paths (Proverbs 3:6), but how can He guide if we do not ask and seek (Matthew 7:7)? We must stay in communication with Him and listen to Him throughout our day if we are to live life at its best. That seems so difficult in our busy lives, but it is absolutely essential. After all, what is really more important than our relationship with Him? And, there is such a quiet peace that comes when we know we are listening to Him! I have renewed my commitment to stay in constant communication with Him so I can live the days in 2009 as He wants me to live them.

No comments: