Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I pray you had a Happy Thanksgiving...

I pray you had a Happy Thanksgiving. God was good to me. I had the opportunity to be with family on Wednesday evening and Thursday for a wonderful Thanksgiving lunch.

I had had some irregular heart beating Sunday evening and Monday morning, but then things settled down until Wednesday evening. Thankfully, I did not have to go to the emergency room until Thursday afternoon. I was placed in the Progressive Care Unit because I was having atrial fibrillations and rapid heartbeat again. They gave me medications to slow the heart rate but the fibrillations continued through Thanksgiving night. Then my heart put itself back in rhythm about 6:00 Friday morning. I thought I would be going home until they came in with the results of my 4:00 am blood work. I needed two units of blood and shots to raise my white blood cell count. Each unit takes about two and a half to three hours so by the time all the paper work was done and the units were given it was 10:00 pm and I settled in for another night.

The trip to the hospital was definitely a blessing in disguise. Later in the weekend, as my blood levels continued to drop I would have become very critical. Instead God arranged for me to be where it was noted and the necessary blood was given. I was then able to check out and be with family again to watch that exciting gator football game, play with grandchildren, and visit with Gary and our children.

Though I would have preferred to be with my family the whole weekend (they had all moved into our house for the holiday weekend). There was comfort in thinking of them being together. This time when Gary would leave the hospital, he did not go home to an empty house! I also had rest and relaxation which I am sure I needed. I had plenty of time to read and pray and even opportunities to minister to some of the hospital staff. God always loves us and our focus on Him enables us to see the joy in each situation instead of what we think we are missing.

I saw my oncologist Monday. He and his staff have been one of God’s special gifts to me over these last nine years. We spent about 45 minutes discussing my treatment and other things. One thing that came up in discussion might explain the atrial fibrillations. A medication I have been on for most of the last nine years is now being tied to atrial fibrillations when it is used over a long time. It would be wonderful if the solution was this simple. I am no longer taking that medication. I also saw another cardiologist Tuesday afternoon that specializes in procedures to treat atrial fibrillations. Please pray for wisdom in decisions resulting from this appointment.

I write a monthly prayer letter which is mailed to participants in the women’s prayer group at our church. It has been suggested that I post those letters on this website. Though they are written specifically for our women the hope is that you will find encouragement and insight in them. I am going back to the letter written at the end of September where I first talk about the upcoming trip to Little Rock.

As I think of and update this blog, I pray for its readers. Thank you for your prayers!

.

No comments: