Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Last week was challenging as I continued to deal with heart arrhythmia and a virus that would not let go, but last weekend was wonderful. We did five presentations of the Gainesville Christmas Festival. God granted great performances and a wonderful response from the people who attended. I was on my way down on Thursday evening for the first performance and realized I was a little sad because for the first time since 2000 I would not be singing in the Christmas musical. I immediately caught myself and began remembering all I had to be thankful for. I was able to be here and not in Arkansas, I got to ride in the sleigh each evening with Gary, and I got to see and hear the program.

When I arrived at Gary’s office last Thursday evening I picked up a book that was on his desk. It was Power In Praise by Merlin Carothers. I opened it to a passage I had previously underlined, “Praise releases the power of God into our lives and circumstances because praise is faith in action. When we trust God fully, He is free to work, and He always brings victory. It may be a victory that changes circumstances, or a victory in the circumstances. Death may be turned away, or made to lose its sting. Praise is a permanent acceptance of what God has brought into our lives. We enter this attitude of praise by an act of our will, by a decision to praise God regardless of how we feel.” It was a great reminder to me to focus on all the good God had given me this past week instead of the circumstances. “My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise” (Psalm 57:7, KJV).

I needed that reminder as I have struggled the last few days with more irregular heart rhythm than regular heart rhythm. It has been physically draining and the doctors are struggling with what is creating the problem. I am thankful that they are committed to finding out and solving the issue as soon as possible so that I can continue my chemo regimen without interruption. They have increased the dosage on one of the heart medications. If that doesn’t work, I will be spending a few days in the hospital for one of two treatment options. Hopefully, the increased dosage will work.

The chemo treatments are going well, my blood counts are holding steady, and the myeloma markers sent to Arkansas last week again showed stability of the disease. I will be contacting the doctor’s office in Arkansas this week to see if they feel the disease level is stable enough to allow me to delay the January check-up until March. I hope so. It would be good not to have to go back so soon.

Thank you so much for your many prayers, love, and support. I pray each of you will have a very Merry Christmas. May God bless you as you celebrate the birth of Christ.

1 comment:

Leah Loy said...

Mrs. Freda, how awesome God is. I bet He had that book sitting there just for you to remind you that He is still in control and watching over you. How excited that you were able to enjoy that time with Pastor Gary for the GCF. I am praying for you and I look forward to the months and years ahead that I will get to reap the benefits of your awesome life. I am really looking forward to that. I love you and can't wait to spend more time with you soon!! Have a merry CHRISTmas!!